Re: [dwm] Tell that your students...

From: <lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:51:55 +0100

Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> i didn't really get your point but i answered nevertheless
>
> On 11/4/07, lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com <lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Macromedia Flash is not a new browser, just a plugin.
>> Still, it revolutions internet applications.
>> (I am still dreaming of a portable OpenGL VM for web apps)
>>
> don't do that (web is for text)

Ok, I'll reformulate: portable OpenGL VM frontend for client/server
applications.
To program a portable GUI is still a hell of a thing, isn't it.
But I think you got it anyway.

>> The article mentions Perl, C, C++, but there are plenty of
>> unknown/known non-commercial languages out there. PHP, D, E,
>> Ruby, Python, Java, Autohotkey, LISP, Haskell, TCL ...
>>
> the article is still right, in system programming the software part
> hasn't changed much (good god they don't write device drivers in php)

The article was explicitly referring to the languages.

> the current solution is to build upon the old stuff (yes when you
> 'read' from a 'file' in eg. python then you use the posix interface,
> it's just a bit nicer syntax)
>
> it can be good (compatibility) and bad (old and ugly layers which we
> try to hide)

What I'd like to point out is that is way too pessimistic to define the
whole computer
research "stagnant" just because history has chosen compatibility in
spite of making
everything new every time. Things can evolve after being created.

I think that the reaserch focus has moved on. New OSes research may be
stagnant.
And I agree with this. But is keeping POSIX the "death of art"?
Come on, we still have lots of geekish fun down here.

I don't know if there are people around the world building
declarative-related
hardware OSes and drivers. I think that people who do AI works actually are
working on some logic-related OS and don't run such programs on Linux or
Windows. I may be wrong.

Wyrmskull