Re: [dwm] wiki front

From: y i y u s <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:49:19 +0100

2007/11/11, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 10:47:23PM +0100, y i y u s wrote:
> > 2007/11/10, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I plan to update the suckless.org website completely, before I'm
> > > going to continue the st development. So I ask if people know
> > > some sane and simple wiki/blog implementations, which I might
> > > consider?
> > >
> > > Actually there were reasons why I wrote diri a while ago, but it
> > > just feels too lowlevel and I more and more dislike the look and
> > > feel of the suckless.org diri pages.
> > >
> > > If there are no wikis which might gain my interest, I will
> > > rewrite diri from scratch using mainly C filter programs. The
> > > first thing is a simplified Markdown -> html generator.
> > >
> > > I believe the basic principles and ideas in diri are right -
> > > using a tree structure for glueing related pages together,
> > > having a Markdown'ish wiki syntax which looks like
> > > well-formatted ASCII text files (but lacks tables ;() etc.
> > >
> > > But maybe in the meantime some rocky wiki appeared which I
> > > didn't noticed so far. Let me know!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > --
> > > Anselm R. Garbe >< http://www.suckless.org/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361
> >
> > I sent you my markdown implementation in awk a while ago. I know it is
> > not perfect but it could be improved. I had the idea of applying your
> > suggestions (also what webrc people had to say), but you didn't look
> > interested. Tell me if this has changed, I can work on it now.
> > cheers,
>
> I know your implementation and I had a look on it. From a
> Markdown perspective it is quite well implemented. But what I
> dislike about Markdown (which is not related to your awk
> version) is that it has no higher-level features for tables and
> that it recognizes different syntactical elements for the same
> thing, e.g. you can define headlines differently with the same
> result, where only one way should be allowed to make the format
> consistent.
>
> I.e. what I'd like to have is Markdown without embedded HTML
> (html will be escaped as in your version, at least as far as
> discussed with Kris on IRC) but with the following table
> syntax:
>

> col | col | col
> ---------------
> val | val | val
> ---------------
> val | val | val
>
> and with a couple of other simplifications. I believe such
> construct is quite context-sensitive and very hard to parse with
> awk - hence I'm looking forward ;)
>
> Another idea I'd prefer is having a simple reference element,
> e.g.
>
> ---snip---
> For further information about those problem refer (J.R. Hoare)[1].

> References
> ----------
> [1] http://www.jrhoare.com/papers/1963/anatomy.ps
> ---snip---

> [...]

Probably you are true and awk is not the best tool for such a parser,
but I'll probably give it a try as an exercise (I'm still learning awk
and I find it really interesting and... funny!). Anyway, I just wanted
to tell that the reference method you are proposing could be a pain
making modifications, i.e. you would have to change all the further
references if you add a new one. That's why I propose a name system
(you could use number as names if you want, but the parser would take
care of putting them in order later).
I will let you know if I give with something useful after some awk
experiments...

--
- yiyus || JGL .