Re: [dwm] dwm wish, a tidy-up function

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:53:49 +0100

Anselm R. Garbe dixit (2007-12-06, 09:54):

> > > This way, when I do a total mess with tagging and floating my clients
> > > (sometimes it happens and I get lost) I could get my everyday dwm state
> > > with one keystroke or command.

> Well, the only thing which is missing that dwm keeps state of
> the currently selected tags. The idea is that dwm putenv's the
> currently selected tags whenever they change and a newly spawned
> dwm instance looks for that environment variable and pre-selects
> those tags. Then a clean restart will behave like reapplying all
> tagging rules beside persisting the selected tags.

Hi,

this is possibly a cool idea, but it contradicts a little my
cleanup/tidyup idea, as described in the quoting above yours. I think
that a function (however implemented) brining back a pristine state of
dwm and the clients (rules reapplied, viewing only tag one, or some
other defafult (but default, not inherited)) is what I'd expect from a
tidyup function.

As to the minilanguage I also agree it should stay out.

What do you think?

Regards,

--
[a]