Re: [dwm] maximize problem

From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh_AT_cs.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:11:57 -0500

On Dec 9, 2007 5:13 AM, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 11:04:24AM +0100, pancake wrote:
> > I find quite anoying the maximize command. Because allows you to
> > hide windows to the user. I don't know if the right solution for this
> > would be to make maximize act as monocle, or avoid changing the
> > focus of the maximized client for the current tag, or making the
> > maximized flag be inheritable for the following created/switched
> > clients.
> >
> > You can achieve this problem by:
> > - open two windows
> > - maximize()
> > - nextclient()
> > (focused client is hidden for the user)
>
> I noticed the same, but this only happens because floating
> clients are kept always on top, which is good -- and all other
> clients are tiled somehow.
>
> This would happen with any manually maximized floating as well,
> so I see no real good solution for this. What do others think?

I find this confusing too... so much that I actually disable this shortcut
in my config. I like the monocle suggestion... switching to the next client
returns the currently maximized client to its previous state (tiled or
floating+prev dimensions) and maximizes the next client. There is no harm
done this way as UI wise the process is completely reversible.

climit / clientspertag also has this problem. In case of climit, a climit of
1 starts the monocle mode so things are better. However, for 1 < climit <
number of visible tiled clients, changing the focus can go to a client not
being shown (which is still useful to zoom on that client... but you need to
know that climit is activated).

A lot of problems with coexisting floating + tiled windows can be easily
solved using a simple shortcut to just tile all the visible windows.

Ritesh