Re: [dwm] [ANNOUNCE] dvtm-0.2

From: Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 23:21:00 +0100

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:20:19PM +0100, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 08:45:58PM +0100, Christian Garbs wrote:

> Thanks for the patch. I have just commited a change which allows
> command functions to take multiple arguments, this conflicts with
> your patch but it should be trivial to adapt it.

I've repatched against the current master:
https://www.cgarbs.de/tmp/0001-enable-escaped-keystrokes.patch

> > I'd also need a way to send CTRL+s. My terminal reacts to the
> > combination and I don't know a way to escape it. Under screen, I
> > can use ^as instead.

> Ok doubling ^s wouldn't work as the terminal would react two times
> so a special function is needed, but wouldn't it be better to read
> the key which should be escaped via getch()?

I've changed the escapekey() function to read its argument via
getch(). This makes for some long commands (open a new client in an
inner dvtm now is ^g G g c -- if you start another dvtm inside that,
you'll be in trouble counting your escapes...), but to me that's ok.
I don't need the ^s very often and I don't plan to run dvtm inside
dvtm.

https://www.cgarbs.de/tmp/0002-escaped-keystroke-with-getch.patch

> > When I run a dvtm inside a dvtm, ^g works as well, but the inner
> > dvtm only displays garbled borders.

> The garbled borders are on a non UTF-8 system, right? If not then
> make sure you have compiled dvtm with "make unicode".

d'oh, as in D'OH. make unicode fixes it, of course.

There is another issue I can't solve by myself: When the screen gets
garbled (e.g. the system logger writing an important message to my
terminal - it's the system console), I can't get dvtm to redraw the
whole screen. ^l only works for a client inside its own window.

To reproduce this, start up dvtm and start a client shell.
Then do something like this:
$ ls -l > /proc/`pidof -s dvtm`/fd/1

You can partially clear the screen by opening new clients, but there
should be a single keystroke to redraw everything on screen. madtty
or curses seem to be doing some kind of caching and become confused
because they don't realise that somebody wrote directly to their
terminal. Their internal state diverges from the displayed screen.

Regards.
Christian

--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de
When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will