Re: [dwm] Xinerama support

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:36:50 +0100

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:01:53 +0100
Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de> wrote:

> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > One problem with using a subset of your tags for a different
> > screen occures, if a window is tagged with a tag from one screen
> > and with another tag from a different screen. We cannot display
> > a window on two screens, at least not mirrored (Xinerama allows
> > to display portions of windows on different screens however) ;)
> IMHO this is a non-problem. If the tags say that a window should be
> visible on more than one head, then just display it on one of those
> heads and omit it on the others. Who needs to see the same window twice?

maybe someone who is showing a window to another ppl on a external
monitor or projector not visible by the one who is working on the "local"
monitor.

But imho this is perfectly 'fixed' with the tagging concept.

> Of course, that opens the question of which head to choose, but I
> believe that a very simplistic approach of assigning a global order to
> the heads would suffice. Make that order configurable.

imho the order should be done in the same way of the zooming windows.

> There is only one situation where I imagine that the user might be
> surprised: Say the left head displays tags l1 and l2, and the right head
> displays r1 and r2. And the window has tags l1 and r1. Say that the
> left head is preferred.
>
> So the window is displayed on the left head. Suppose the user then
> removes the tag l1 from the left head. This means that the window will
> jump to the right head. This jumping of windows might be surprising.

I would prefer to have an initial version to play with and get what's
interesting and what's not.

  --pancake