Re: [dwm] Determining client's title, class, and instance

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:23:56 +0000

On Jan 22, 2008 5:01 AM, John Fox <jfoxiv_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I just started with dwm yesterday, and I'm enjoying it greatly, but have a
> question concerning configuration:
>
> Rule definition in config.def.h allows for specification of a client's
> "class", "instance", and "title". I would like to be able to determine
> these attributes, and have found that I can get "class" from xprop
> (WM_CLASS).
>
> Howver, xprop's output lists nothing referring to "title" or "instance". I
> surmise that either "WM_NAME" or "WM_ICON_NAME" serves as "title", and have
> no idea regarding "instance". I would be most appreciative if someone could
> clear this up for me.

As it wasn't immediately obvious to me initially, I'll mention that
you can specify as much as you want in the rule, ie, if you want
something to apply ot all the windows of an application you only have
to specify the class. (swll.k has pointed out the command to get full
information if you need it of course.)

HTH

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________