Re: [dwm] cycling through tags?

From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh_AT_cs.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:57:43 -0500

I have seen this issue of configuration management and program complexity
come again and again. However, I have seen different people solve it
different ways... none being necessarily technically superior to anything
else. The way I see it, its more subjective and depends on the community
which shapes the product.

However, I do see an inherent cleanliness in using a programming language
for configuration itself. Most configuration languages are a combination of
assignments, comments and in rare cases some control flow. The question is,
why do the duplicated work of parsing and converting between one set of data
structures to another when you already have a well tested compiler/runtime
with you.

The compilation step does make the whole thing a little more complicated.
Had it been a scripting language (say lua) we could have made the
configuration file in lua itself which would be really convenient if the
window manager logic was written in lua too... we would just need in include
the file and be done with it... no compilation step required. In dwm's case,
I think C is more of a matter of subjective choice.

On the other hand for a source based distribution like gentoo, the
compilation step really doesn't matter because every upgrade of dwm would
require a recompilation and the configuration file in C is handled properly.

_r