Re: [dwm] dmenu_run problem

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:15:01 +0100

On Feb 11, 2008 4:58 PM, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:08:20PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > - exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu $*` && exec $exe
> > + set exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu $*` && exec $exe
>
> I'm not sure about this proposal either, but I applied your
> change this morning.

That shouldn't be necessary in the place you put it (in fact, it
shouldn't have any noticeable effect at all there), since that script
starts with #!/bin/sh, which should imply it will run in a Bourne
compatible shell, which means the "var=value command" syntax should be
understood.

This "my shell doesn't understand 'var=value command'" only was a
problem when that line was hardcoded in config.h, which would cause
the entire command to be passed to the user's default shell, rather
than to the current /bin/sh. In fact, that problem is the sole reason
the dmenu_run script was created in the first place.

Anyway, the 'set' won't hurt, so it's no big deal, but I'm quite sure
it won't fix anything here either.

Greetings, Sander.