Re: [dwm] We need a different Xinerama implementation

From: Don Stewart <dons_AT_galois.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:54:03 -0800

arg:
> I agree that the current approach has flaws and I'd like to
> address them before dwm-4.8. Actually I'd like to hear your
> opinions first to what you think might be the best solution of
> supporting multihead setups?
>
> I more and more come to the conclusion that classical multihead
> support is not worth the effort anymore. The DISPLAY= variable
> should do the trick for those setups (meaning running separate
> instances of dwm for each screen) -- but Xinerama provides much
> more possibilities so that I see a different use case here.
>
> I consider different tagsets for each screen, which can't be
> selected in a join way, to prevent the basic problem of being
> unable to display the same window on different screens.
>
> Maybe somewhat into the direction of having a 2D tagset, with y
> addressing different screens (yiyus or pancake came up with this
> idea if I remember correctly) for the Xinerama case, and y
> addressing different virtual screens for the non Xinerama case.
>
> Hence, say tags 1-4 address screen 1, tags 5-9 address screen 2
> or so, but tagging a client 1+5 is not possible. This should
> give you a rough idea.
>
> Please let me know what you think.

This is essentially the approach we chose for xmonad.

No union of window sets, and display one set per physical screen.
You can then index phsyical screens, and window sets separately

We use mod-w,e,r to select a physical screen as current.
Then mod-1..9 to load a window set onto that physical screen.

If the set is visible on another physical screen already, you either
switch the current screen, or swap window sets.

-- Don