Re: [dwm] We need a different Xinerama implementation

From: David Edmondson <dme_AT_dme.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:39:24 +0000

> > - we could do something more interesting in the case where multiple
> > monitors show the same tags. For example, if monitor 1 and monitor 2
> > both show tag 1, we might treat monitor 2 as a part of the "right hand
> > side". Divide it into two columns and effectively have a "main column
> > + three residuals" layout.
> I haven't seen this idea in these discussions so far, and I must say I
> like it a whole lot. (Even though, of course, you can never be sure you
> have two monitors beside each other. That's just the most popular
> configuration.)

The approach falls down a little if monitor 1 is showing tag A and
monitor 2 is showing tags A and B. What should monitor 2 look like? It
would seem odd for it not to have a 'master' column.

Maybe the arrangement algorithm would have to consider the entire set
of windows to be viewed and the constraints for each before placing
them. In the case above, how about the two stacks (i.e. residuals on 1
and 2) having an equal number of windows, with those on monitor 2
being the windows from tag B plus enough windows (possibly none) from
tag A to balance with the stack on monitor 1.

To be honest, most of these schemes seem overly complicated. The
approach I prototyped works well for me (big surprise!), even if it
has lots of loose ends to tidy up.

dme.