Re: [dwm] xinerama, things get more and more useful

From: Nicolas Martyanoff <khaelin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 10:47:29 +0100

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:01:39 +0100
"Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> There are kind a lot of caveats in current hg tip, but I
> encourage early adaptors to give it a try and to update from
> time to time, and to report bugs.
>
> The worst caveat atm is that the focus handling among different
> views (screens) might need mouse assistance in some cases, so
> I'm aware of this already.
>
> http://www.suckless.org/shots/dwm-xinerama-new.png
>
> Kind regards,

I just tried the last hg version, and I am a bit disappointed.
The idea to divide up the tags between the screens isn't really
ergonomic.

A dual (or more) screen, is particulary useful to have two or more
applications on a single view, for example a coding window and a pdf
research paper. With the new system, navigating between the tags is
really tedious; with wmii, I knew that my coding windows (editor,
doc...) were on tag '2'. A simple alt-2 and it was restaured. With dwm
old xinerama system, I had to press alt-2 foreach screen which was ok
though less practical. Now I have to remember two tag, on per screen,
for each couple of application.

The only advantage of this system is to remove the need to manually
toggle between the screens.

Furthermore, if it was possible before to use a window covering the
whole display (blender for example) by switching to float mode, the by
enabling the same tag on each screen (yes it was painful), it's not
possible anymore.

I really hope this is gonna change :(

Regards,

--