Re: [dwm] visibility of focused windows

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:32:57 +0100

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 03:45:09PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 3/5/08, Jeremy O'Brien <obrien654j_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you have a quick solution for maximizing floating windows?
>
> an ugly solution would be a key binding for:
> togglefloat()
> monocle()
> togglefloat()
> tile()
>
> but this way you cannot restore the original size
>
> to restore the original state you should save the size before
> maximizing and the current client struct has no space for that
>
> if you want to implement a correct togglemax for floating windows then
> you have to extend the client struct
>
> (i guess floating win maximization is a rare use case among dwm users
> so it doesn't worth the extra attributes in client, but i can be
> wrong)

depends. I, too, usually avoid floating layout, but sure there are
situations where you want it (otherwise it would'nt be there in the first
place). and _if_ you use it, it sure would be really good to have
correct togglemax (including size/position restoration). and I firmly believe
that layout should be a per-tag property (at least if the user
decides this), not global: while using `ion3' I usually had a few tiled/tabbed
workspaces and a single floating one for things like "scribus", e.g..
that worked very well.

but no misunderstanding: `dwm' is very good right now.

joerg