[dwm] Some things about dmenu...

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 14:20:05 +0100

Hi,

Two things about dmenu:
1. Case insensitive string matching should be optional; right now,
when I have an entry 'Foo' and an entry 'foo', I can't put the cursor
on 'foo' without using the arrow keys, not even when I type exactly
'foo'. Quite annoying. While I understand that case insensitive string
matching is useful to some (many?) people, it's a pain in the ass for
me, and quite ununixy on top of that. Hence I propose to make case
insensitivity optional through an cmdline argument, like (for
instance) grep does as well.
2. '-i' would be a sensible choice for point 1, but apparently we
already have that. It makes dmenu match strings 'ignoring intermediate
characters', so that for instance 'fifo' matches 'firefox'. If someone
can explain to me why this is a good thing please do so, cause I can't
think of a single thing, it looks like a misfeature to me. I'd rather
see the current '-i' "functionality" be replaced with what I described
under point 1.

Greetings, Sander.