Re: [dwm] Some things about dmenu...

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 14:40:13 +0100

Sander van Dijk dixit (2008-03-08, 14:35):

> On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
> > dmenu is case sensitive here and works as expected, are you running some
> > exotic OS?
>
> No. Considering that dmenu uses strncasecmp, I'd say you'd have to be
> running a rather exotic OS to have it case sensitive instead :-).

LOL... I just checked how it works and it worked fine. Pressing capital
"F" for my program launcher shows only two binaries with a capital "F"
on my system.

> What version of dmenu are you using? As far as I can tell, 3.4 and hg
> tip both use use strncasecmp, which "compares the two strings s1 and
> s2, ignoring the case of the characters", according to man
> strncasecmp(3).

I'm using 3.2. Seems to have been an (unknowingly) wise decision not to
upgrade. Otherwise, yes, I too consider case insensitive substring
matching to be wrong. And also agree that the -i flag should follow the
Unix convention for enabling case insensitive match.

Best,

--
[a]