Re: [dwm] recent changes

From: voltaic <voltaic_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:25:50 -0400

I agree with Joerg's argument that single-monitor usability should not be
sacrificed for multihead support. I tested out 4.8 two days ago (so I guess
I'm already out of date) and one glaring issue that bothered me was the hard
coded tile/stack area sizes. It worked very well with Xinemara, but how
about laptop users who connect and disconnect external monitors frequently?
If I want to be able to use DWM 4.8 in its current state I would have to
compile multiple executables, each configured specifically for a particular
monitor resolution. This would also involve restarting DWM frequently and
losing tag information. I think for those people who use a large external
monitor for everyday use and a projector for work the hard coding of various
dimensions would be pretty inconvenient.

The obvious solution is to make available the resolution of each attached
screen and in that manner set the BX, BY, BW, WX, etc. values as
proportions. As I've said before, I don't know a whole lot about
programming, and I know nothing about X programming, so I don't know if what
I asked for is possible at all. But consider that this is from a daily DWM
user.

I also should point out that with the high resolution external monitors
these days, I find very little use for a dual head setup. I especially find
the current setup distracting, because having the stack area in the
secondary screen forces me to go back and forth between the two screens all
the time. I think this is less efficient than having all the relevant
information right in front of you at all times. I envision the secondary
head to be used as a scratch area, or a static place for notes and the like
to be kept. I know pancake mentioned this before, and I agree with him. I
also think that with widescreen monitors it really becomes logical to split
the screen vertically into a master and stack area. Itt really makes little
sense to relegate the primary screen (a high resolution widescreen monitor)
as the master area because a single window rarely need to occupy the whole
screen. I think the option should be there for people who have lower
resolution screens (perhaps a different tile layout) but for me no single
window requires 1680 pixels of horizontal space.

Another comment with regard to what Joerg said: I am also a former ION3
user, but I have not been bothered by the lack of tabs in DWM. Tabs would
add another dimension of variables that the user needs to sort through to
get to the window he/she wants. In DWM the only construct that toggles the
visibility of a window is the visibility state of a tag. If we add tabs to
this mixture the windows have the chance of being doubly hidden (by the
visibility of a tag as well as of a tab), and become twice removed from
being readily accessible with a single keystroke. Tabs also add an extra
status bar to each window, crowding the screen, and wasting screen space.
That is just my opinion, though.

-voltaic