Re: [dwm] Different window modes on different workspaces

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:01:43 +0100

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 4:50 AM, Jonny Gerold <fsk141_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a very simple question. I just upgraded to 4.8. And I would like
> to know if there is a simple way to assign one workspace to be say tiled
> mode, and another to be float mode. I would like to use tiling on some
> of my workspaces, but am always pissed when I move to another desktop
> with a float that gets moved out of place.
> Thanks, Jonny

There are no different desktops/workspaces, there is only one.
Applying one or more tags to a window, and selecting one or more tags
for viewing influences what is displayed on that _single_ workspace
(to which the currently selected layout always applies).
I suggest you search the archives, the differences between tags and
workspaces have been discussed many, many times before (basically, as
long as you never select more than one tag for viewing, tags can be
(ab)used as workspaces, but when you select multiple tags for viewing
it becomes obvious that things like 'layout per workspace' have no
meaning in the tagging paradigm).
Also, should you come to the conclusion that the workspaces paradigm
fits you better than the tags paradigm, xmonad (xmonad.org) might be
worth looking at.

Greetings, Sander.