Re: [dwm] A rather radical thought

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:20:22 +0200

"Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 04:27:34PM +0200, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> > "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Here is what I have exactly in mind from a user perspective:
> > >
> > > Initially there is 1 column, a new client is inserted below the
> > > currently selected window in the column, similiar to the stack
> > > in tiled layout.
> > >
> > > Each window can be moved left- or rightwards (Mod1-Shift-{h,l})
> > > which may result in a new column if there is none. A
> > > new column gets half the size of the current column.
> > >
> > > Each window can also be moved up- or downwards in the column
> > > itself (Mod1-Shift-{j,k}).
> > >
> > > Columns can be grown/shrinked using Mod1-Control-{h,l}.
> > > Windows can be grown/shrinked using Mod1-Control-{j,k}.
> > >
> > > The navigation is rather straight-forward:
> > >
> > > Focussing the previous/next window in the current column is done
> > > with Mod1-{j,k}, focussing the previous/next column is done with
> > > Mod1-{h,l}.
> > >
> > > So the whole layout concept consists of basically 4 keys with 3
> > > kinds of modifiers.
> >
> > But this wouldn't exclude the tag concept of dwm, it just means giving
> > up this tiled and master area concept, or did I get it wrong?
>
> The tagging concept would stay, except the ability of viewing
> more than 1 tag at a time (though a specific window could be
> sticky because it contains all tags).

Is there a particular reason for this? Probably most people consider
viewing multiple tags as a necessary feature.

> > Is your concept limited to horizontal columns or are vertical columns or
> > both simultaneously possible?
>
> Theoretically one could do rows from columns, but in practice I
> believe that columns just work out very well.

For me columns won't work, because I can't display two 80x24 terminals
at the same time on my monitor. Rows are essential for me, because
otherwise I have to switch tags very often or use a floating layout.

> What won't be possible is having rows and columns mixed
> together -- at least I won't support this officially.

But this would actually make the layout I previously described possible.

Regards
Matthias-Christian