Re: [dwm] Monocle question

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:50:12 +0200

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:29:43PM +0200, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 01:05:51AM +0200, Dashing wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I use monocle mode a lot, but I don't like how dialog boxes get
> > > maximized.
> > >
> > > I noticed two versions for going through the clients exist:
> > > * for(c = clients; c; c = c->next)
> > > * for(c = nexttiled(clients); c; c = nexttiled(c->next))
> > >
> > > Why does monocle use the first and not the second?
> >
> > Well what about having monocle work like this:
> >
> > just only raise and display the focused client in the monocle
> > area, and restore the previous dimensions everytime a new client
> > is focused? But still working on all clients of course.
>
> Sorry for the noise, but shouldn't monocle ignore
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG windows?
> It's very annoying, that dwm maximises firefox's save dialogs, because
> it's not the expected behaviour.

EWMH support is kept at a bare minimum, basically dwm supports
_NET_WM_NAME properties only because WM_NAME seems to be
different if unicode titles come into account.

What I want to prevent is special treatment of transient_for or
fixed-size windows in a layout algorithm. If you change current
monocle to be a non-floating layout and working on nexttiled
instead of c->next, then you should get the behavior you ask
for.

However, I believe that the monocle layout as it should be - as
described above - I intent to not treat those windows in special
ways but still maximising and raising them, because they are
restored again. So monocle is what it is intended to be then.

Kind regards,