Re: [dwm] togglemax substiute in 4.9?

From: yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:35:40 +0200

2008/4/8, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:55:29PM +0200, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> > as `togglemax' seems gone in 4.9: I agree, that `monocle'
> > is very useful (and superior). the only problem is (seems?)
> > that one cannot easily toggle back and forth to the previous
> > layout. rather, one needs to cycle through all 4 layouts
> > right now, it seems. this is not so nice...
>
> > question: is their a chance to get a kind of `togglemonocle'
> > functionality into dwm without writing it myself? this would
> > seem a frequent demand: activate monocle for some time than
> > switch back to tiling (or whatever layout was in effect
> > previously).
>
> What about direct layout activation using the layout symbol as
> setlayout argument?
>
> As for setlayout() I consider having (const char *)-1 for the
> previous layout, (const char *)1 for the next and NULL for
> toggling between the current and previous one, if any.
>
> The same concept might be adapted for setgeom as well.
>
> Any complains?

I think that using the proposedlayout function as it was done in the
past would be a better idea (and like it happens with tags if you use
the last patch I've sent to the list), but I don't use different
layouts any more, so my opinion is not important.

> > w.r.t. to `floating': I find it always rather annoying that
> > leaving `floating' layout, i.e. going to some tiling layout,
> > there is no way of going back to floating while getting back
> > the previously manually selected arrangements of windows. I
> > admit, I use `floating' rarely, but when I do, the above
> > behaviour comes into the way quite often. the problem with
> > "destroying" floating arrangements by selecting a diferent
> > layout is, of course, especially severe because layout
> > changes act global.
> >
> > question: any chance of making `dwm' remember any `floating'
> > positioning information on a per-window basis which would
> > enable restoration of positions when coming back to
> > floating layout?
>
> Actually, I consider making an exception for floating and
> monocle alltogether. Monocle in 5.0 will only work on the
> focused client and restore after each unfocus to the previous
> geometry. So each client will have two geometries, the current
> and the previous one. This allows restoring the geometry when
> switching from tiled to monocle and back, resp. when switching
> from floating to tiled and back or vice versa.
>
> At manage() time I consider, that the previous geometry is the
> initial geometry as it would be for the floating case.
>
> Any complains?

If we are coming back to reverse geometries per client, what's the
point of resizing clients in focus changes? I think this will add
unnecesary complexity. But again, I don't think my opinion is
important.

--
- yiyus || JGL .