Re: [dwm] Preventing xterm from closing by killclient()

From: Martin Sander <forke_AT_uni-bonn.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:56:52 +0200

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:25:59PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> Hmm, what about changing the binding to Ctrl-d in your setup
> then?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I did not make myself entirely
clear. My problem is of different nature.

As an example, I have an xterm with an ipython [2] shell, which I use to
plot some data using matplotlib [2]. The window showing the plot has no
means of closing it but killclient() (the same with gnuplot, btw).

So when I want to close that window I use MODKEY|Shiftmask, XK_c.
My problem occurs when I don't realize that actually that window is not
focused, but the xterm running ipython is focused instead.
xterm closes, I lose everything I have typed in that window so far,
including the history, which is absolutely not what I want.

I know I could use BORDERPX > 2 or set SELBORDERCOLOR to something very
high contrast, but I'd find that rather distracting/ugly.

I'd prefer just to never ever kill xterm, something like

                if (clientname=='xterm')
                                return;

in killclient(). I just need some hints how to do it.

Regards

Martin

[1] http://ipython.scipy.org/
[2] http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/