Re: [dwm] bloq may used to ignore keybindings

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:43:05 +0200

markus schnalke dixit (2008-04-24, 08:37):

> Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
> > Martin Sander dixit (2008-04-24, 01:27):
> >
> > Which, in my case, is mapped to the control-key
>
> so you're probably an emacs user ;-9
> vi friends would map escape to caps lock instead

Nah. I'm a rather dedicated vim user (though I think emacs could have
its uses too if I learned it well. I'm interested in getting to know
some Lisp-related stuff deeper).

Instead of pressing the Esc-key I press ^[ or ^c in Vim. The latter is
not exactly the same as Esc, but both are usually sufficient to get out
of insert mode for most editing situations and obviously far more
comfortable than reaching for Esc-key.

> ... however, you'll increase your working speed
> (if you dont work on foreign computers too often)

I still need a comfortable ctrl-key for commandline editing and such,
and such placement had also been a standard on my way-back workstations.

> tutorial for X
> (uses `xmodmap' which is in package xbase-clients on Debian systems)
>
> in the .xinitrc:
> /usr/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmaprc
>
> in .xmodmaprc
> ! have CAPS_LOCK as second ESC
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> keysym Caps_Lock = Escape

Here's my .Xmodmaprc; it's being used by my Xsession scripts
automatically OOTB:

keycode 66 = Control_L
clear Lock
add Control = Control_L
keycode 117 = ISO_Level3_Shift

As a bonus it clears the useless right-hand windows key (contextual menu
key) and turns it into a secondary r-alt. A blessing for vim.

Best,

--
[a]