Re: [dwm] EWMH code would enable some code cuts

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:02:59 +0200

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:02:58AM -0500, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> I'd much rather see status bar go away entirely and dwm use stdin and
> stdout to communicate with an external app to handle tag status. I
> don't think ewmh is the answer. I'd like to run dwm as "dwm <> bar"
> so that anything can get tag selection status and process it however
> it wants, and tell dwm to switch tags etc.

Back in wmii times I was convinced by the fact, that it is a
good idea to have tiny languages/protocols between applications
and to allow for modularization. Nowadays I disagree, esp. if
the bar is such an integral I/O part of the program itself.

Not everyone wants to install a separate status monitor program
(well if dzen would be as simple as the dwm status bar reader it
 might be a fair consideration).

The bar has been there since very early dwm releases and it is
right in my opinion. Hence I don't think it's worth the parsing
effort in two applications just for the price of a nice concept.

Kind regards,