[dwm] dijkstra quote

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:20:20 +0200

a dijkstra quote [1] i've just stumbled upon and would like to share:

The practice is pervaded by the reassuring illusion that programs are
just devices like any others, the only difference admitted being that
their manufacture might require a new type of craftsmen, viz.
programmers. From there it is only a small step to measuring
"programmer productivity" in terms of "number of lines of code
produced per month". This is a very costly measuring unit because it
encourages the writing of insipid code, but today I am less interested
in how foolish a unit it is from even a pure business point of view.
My point today is that, if we wish to count lines of code, we should
not regard them as "lines produced" but as "lines spent": the current
conventional wisdom is so foolish as to book that count on the wrong
side of the ledger.

[1]: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/transcriptions/EWD10xx/EWD1036.html