Re: [dwm] Freedom (was: Re: sic ipv6 patch)

From: Matthias Kirschner <mk_AT_fsfe.org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 23:54:13 +0200

[After this message, I will only reply off-list, because I think it is
off-topic on the technical dwm mailinlist -- and I do not want to annoy
others. If you would like to continue the discussion in public, let's
move to another mailing-list like discussion_AT_fsfeurope.org.]

* Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> [2008-05-19 22:38:15 +0200]:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Matthias Kirschner <mk_AT_fsfe.org> wrote:
> > There are people (like) you who say modified BSD/MIT licenses are more
> > free, because users/developers have the freedom to make the software
> > unfree. (More a freedom of the individual.)
>
> No no, it's not just "people" saying that, but also every dictionary
> in the world; some examples of dictionary definitions of freedom:
> - "the power to determine action without restraint."
> - "the absence of or release from ties, obligations, etc."
> - "the power to exercise choice and make decisions without constraint
> from within or without; autonomy; self-determination."

- For whom? The individual or the society?
- Which dictionary should I believe? Yours or my political dictionary,
  which says a lot more about the term? Is there a master human
  dictionary somewhere? For which language?
- "Not just 'people'"? Who writes dictionaries? People, or God?

I had university seminars about the term "freedom", and I do not think
that we should stop thinking because a dictionary says something
(otherwise the dictionary takes away your freedom, doesn't it?). Or do
you look up "life" in your dictionary?

With best wishes,
Matthias/who will try to not stop thinking