Re: [dwm] Freedom (was: Re: sic ipv6 patch)

From: Matthias Kirschner <mk_AT_fsfe.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 17:36:27 +0200

Hello Kurt,

* Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> [2008-05-20 09:58:00 -0500]:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Matthias Kirschner <mk_AT_fsfe.org> wrote:
> > How should someone know what a tiling window manager is, when he does
> > not know what a window manger is?
>
> If he doesn't know what a tiling window manager is, it's unlikely he's
> going to "use, study, share and improve" so your argument goes out the
> window anyway.

If they like an application and somebody tells them they can give it to
their friends. Why do you think it is unlikely they do it? A lot of
people do it with non-free software, even when it is not allowed by law.
So why should others not do it when they know it is legal??

> > Or perhaps better go away from the DWM case: How should a user know that
> > there is "original Free Software" (like a BSD Kernel) in his router,
> > mobile phone, car, digital camera, television, ...???? Or the nice photo
> > application on the new TV?? Nobody tells them... they do not know the
> > name, they might not even know that there is something like Free
> > Software, and they might not know that there is something like Source
> > Code. How should they find out that the original software provided them
> > the four freedoms???
>
> They obviously don't care. What's your point?

Ok, I try it again to make my point clear. (If it is just, that you
disagree with my point, than please tell my. I can live with that. But I
understood you that you did not understand my point, so I'll try to
explain.)

Non-free software takes away users freedom to use, study, share and
improve the software.

Software which is under a "non-protective" license can be distributed
again as non-free software.

People who get this software do not know that parts of the software they
use are Free Software. So they do not know about the freedom they would
have when using the original software.

If they know about their options to use, study, share and improve the
software, they can decide to do it or not to do it. So it increases
their freedom. Or do you think it decreases their freedom?

So in a nutshell, I think it is good if people know about their
rights/freedoms/options or whatever you call it with the software as
well as in other areas.

Best wishes,
Matthias