Re: [dwm] Coding styles

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:00:40 +0200

[2008-07-31 16:41] pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>

> I'll try to add some more precisse descriptions on the points :)

and please use more easy words and less irony
That makes the document clearer and so more useful.

> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 14:14 +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> > >
> > > Mixed tab/spaces++
> >
> > I use tabs for indentations and spaces to align things beginning at the
> > indentation level, eg in multiline constructs or sometimes in variable
> > declarations if it looks easier on the eyes. Though the latter case can't be
> > found in open source stuff I wrote.
>
> Uhm. i dont like to mix spaces and tabs for indenting. Is better to let
> this job to the editor. And keep everything in tabs (smaller source
> files and easier editor integration)

The "mixing" arg described has nothing to do with indention.
There is clear separation:
- tabs are for indention
- spaces are for nice alignment of wrapped lines

Editors should not try to align wrapped lines or similar stuff, cause
they cannot do that properly.
These spaces (after the indention tabs and before the wrapped part of
the long line) should be controlled by the human.

One global statement from me:
Try to avoid absolute rules ... cause it (nearly) always depends.

meillo