Re: [dwm] rationale for resizehints=False?

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:46:32 +0200

On 8/7/08, Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Sander van Dijk wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "having the inside border setup to
>> follow resizehints, but the outside border does not follow
>> resizehints"? Handling resizehints doesn't have an effect on borders,
>> it has an effect on the window. An application can for instance say "I
>> want to be resized in steps of 5 pixels only" or "I want to be
>> precisely this size". When resizehints handling is enabled, dwm will
>> honor those requests, otherwise it'll simply say "this is your size,
>> deal with it". I believe there's not much between all or nothing there
>> (other than being able to handle/ignore specific hints, but I doubt
>> that's what you meant).
>

> Sorry, I think I don't think I was very precise. I have my setup as
> follows. For the following layout, "tile" assigns sizes to windows
> A,B,C,D (in that order).
>
> +------+---+
> | | B |
> | +---+
> | A | C |
> | +---+
> | | D |
> +------+---+
>
> I have "tile" set the height of A *precisely* to wh (A->h = wh).
> Resize hints are used for the width (A->w = A->basew + n*A->incw for
> some n such that |A->w - mfact*ww| < A->incw). For B and C, the width
> is set precisely (B->w = ww - A->w), and resize hints are used for
> the height.
>
> So I believe there is something between all or nothing (i.e.
> "something" :)), which is to follow resize hints for one dimension
> only. I was just wondering why others would prefer one setting over
> another.

So you did mean being able to handle/ignore specific hints after all.
I personally think that that doesn't belong in config.h. Applications
that set resizehints usually do this for a reason, and not handling
them often leads to crappy behaviour. Setting it to False is a bad
idea in general, and complicating matters by allowing the
configuration for specific sizehints in config.h isn't going to help
(what sizehints do you want to be able to configure? inc-handling/min
and max size/aspect ratio?). I think such specific wishes should be
dealt with in the source, not in config.h.

Greetings, Sander.