Re: [dwm] dwm: request to discuss

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:20:09 +0200

Maxim Vuets wrote:
> 2008/8/28, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>:
>
> >> I don't propose to get rid of tags, no! I propose to introduce
> >> workspaces in addition to tags. It will be just sets which keep
> >> current layout and selected tags. That's all!
> >
> > +1
> >
> > That makes sense to me, but where do you want to place the workspace
> > list?
>
> It is not strongly neceserry. If status bar will be separate application,
> it is not care of dwm. If not---I see one nice place: before tags list.
> But not list and just a name of the current workspace.

If you want to seperate dwm and status bar you have to come up with a
practical protocol. Assumed that dwm still manages the tags and
status bar is just responsible for displaying the data, I propose (not
perfect, just to give you an idea):

:s n tag n was selected
:d n tag n was deselected
:a n tag n contains windows (litlle square)
:l l layout l selected
:t s set window title to s
:f current window is floating

Anyhow sourcing out the status bar that will probably make dwm more
complex than the monolithic version. I really favour modularity, unix
philsophy and simplicty, but I think in this case there are good enough
reasons to break these rules, if you think in terms of LOC and
complexity.

> >> I want to use some layout scheme to one set of windows and
> >> another layout to another set. dwm cannot do it. awesome can
> >> (exactly for 2.x, don't know about 3.x). But it is broken---it tryies to
> >> use
> >> tags (yes, they are still tags) as workspaces. It remembers layout per
> >> tag.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Another nice feature would be a workspace deck or tag deck. This way
> > multiple tags or workspaces can be overlay each other on multiple
> > layers. I don't if this really practically relevant.
>
> If I understand you correctly, I don't see practical usage of such deck.
> Your example?

I have to admit that ehe overlay makes just some sense with floating
windows, otherwise it's just circling through workspaces/tags.

Regards
Matthias-Christian