Re: [dwm] dwm + xft

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:29:10 -0700

On Sep 9, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Alexander Polakov wrote:

> * Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> [080909 17:01]:
>> 2008/9/9 <dzik.dziki_AT_gmail.com>:
>>> Hello there. It's my first mail on this ML. I wonder if there is any
>>> possibility to use xft fonts in dwm. Becouse this patch
>>> http://koluthcka.ru/fwm/dwm-4.7-xft.diff doesn't work for me.
>>
>> I guess this patch just needs to be upgraded to apply with vanilla
>> dwm-5.2. Otherwise I think it should work fine.
>>

> It definetely *should* work fine, but it had not worked *well*
> ever, because it was
> a quick hack.

I tried adding pango+xft support because bitmap CJK fonts suck, and
also just to see how much bloat pango adds. Here's what I found on
Debian-stable-x86:

           Resident ResShared
core X 1.2M 1.0M
Xft 2.3M 1.8M (+ more depending on fonts)
pango+xft 4.2M 2.9M (+ more depending on fonts)

Note that Xft by itself is a step backwards, because it doesn't help
you with character encodings, while core X does.

So for another 1.1M of non-shared memory (~ 1 bash instance), you too
can have both your English text and J-pop song titles rendered in all
their fuzzy glory.