Re: [dwm] XCB?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:32:25 +0100

2008/9/14 Johannes Wegener <ih-mon_AT_gmx.de>:
> I recently read that awesome is going to use XCB over Xlib and says that
> it is faster becouse it is asynchronous.
> Does XCB realy its job faster than Xlib?
> And if this is the case is dwm going to use XCB in any further release?

I'd be interested in benchmarks proving this thesis. Xlib isn't
synchronous either, though it can be enforced by clients to process
all pending requests using XSync(). I'd bet that a thread-safe Xlib
reimplementation from scratch using C might be a lot faster than XCB,
since XCB is generated code in plenty parts.

> Just some stupid questions - don't take them to serious - I like dwm and
> how it is,its just some kind of intrest in that thing of XCB :)

I have in mind to give dwm on xcb a try.

Kind regards,
--Anselm