Re: [dwm] move/resize keyboard control

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:01:23 -0700

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Claudio <smoppy_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a more logical and useful approach, indeed. Though i rarely use layouts
> other than monocle. Since i use dvtm i don't have more than a terminal in a
> tiled tag anymore but all the terminals has been moved to one dvtm session
> and the rest (iceweasel, aMSN, etc.) is floating or maximized, so i don't
> need such feature at all. OTOH i wouldn't have its opposite feature:
> auto-floating when move a tiled client. This mean that i prefer to have this
> patch in mainstream instead of the current implementation.

I'm perfectly happy keeping this out of the trunk, but I think the
auto-floating behavior really needs to go. BTW, changeset
1213:368a80dcf5bd makes auto-float active only when snap is nonzero,
which I believe is a mistake.

(offtopic)
I find it strange how many people use dwm mostly for monocle-mode. I
used Ratpoison for years because I assumed that any alternative would
require that I install gkrellm, turn on fake transparency in my
xterms, and use some sci-fi wallpaper. Finally I got fed up with
Ratpoison because you need to deal with its awkward frames if you
don't want a monocle-mode. The irony is that it's 16k lines of code,
but has fewer useful (to me) features than dwm.

Anyway, thanks Anselm, for keeping dwm clean and hackable!