Re: [dwm] Floating children

From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:40:24 -0300

Hi,

> relatives to some kind of main window, this will work out of the box.
> Otherwise not. You can ask the developers of these apps to set the
> TRANSIENT_FOR flag on these windows.

"""
The WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property (of type WINDOW) contains the ID of
another top-level window. The implication is that this window is a
pop-up on behalf of the named window, and window managers may decide
not to decorate transient windows or may treat them differently in
other ways.
"""

Mh, as vague as this definition is I don't think they expect fluid
child windows (in the sense that they are ultimately created from the
main window, and their life span is contained inside the main window's
one) to be treated "differently in other ways" (for example, removing
their decorations, although in the case of dwm this would represent no
difference).

> The problem is, that the children windows you are referring to are no
> child windows in the sense of X, they are only child windows from a
> semantical point of view of the application itself.

Ok, I see, I'll apply the pertag patch then. The reason I don't like
this is that I perceive it as a massive surgery (conceptually, because
the patch itself is small) to address a minor issue.

Thank you for the clarifications.

Regards
-Carlos