Re: [dwm] dwm-5.3

From: Neale Pickett <neale_AT_woozle.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:40:15 -0700

"Anselm R Garbe" <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> I don't like the alternatives very much, I dislike popen() some status
> feed process, or creating a fifo, or reading from some status text
> file, or using X properties (like larsremote).

I sort of like the idea of using X properties. You could use xprop to
set some string on the root window:

    xprop -root -f DWM_STATUS 8s -set DWM_STATUS "whatever"

It might even result in a significant SLOC reduction, since it'd just be
another X event, and wouldn't have to parse text for newlines.

I'll work on a patch to use X properties and we can see what everyone
thinks.

Neale