Re: [dwm] xprop patch

From: Benoit T <benoit.triquet_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:32:09 +0100

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:41:35AM -0700, Neale Pickett wrote:
> I very much like this patch. I realized right away that I would never
> again need to restart dwm when I work on my status script. When it
> dies, I can just start it up again without restarting DWM. Someone
> could even have multiple programs running to update the status text. It
> removes the need for the "readin" variable: you either set the property
> or you don't.
>
> The patch removes 39 SLOC:

gotta admit Neale has 2 points :)

i like the idea of not having to restart dwm when hacking on the status
script

conversely, when hacking on dwm itself, i like being able to restart dwm
without restarting my x session, yet i want the session to exit when dwm
exits, ie. "dwm & xterm" in .xsession is not what i want.

here is a "respawn" patch. it is most useful in conjunction with a
"local install" in the makefile, copying the newly built dwm binary over
the currently running one, inside my $HOME rather than in /usr/local

the patch costs 5 loc in the source + 1 loc in config.h
the patch is not completely portable due to use of ``environ''. i hope
that even the BSDs have that nowadays, but probably not through defining
_GNU_SOURCE, which is glibc specific.

cheers

--
Benoit Triquet <benoit.triquet at gmail.com>