Re: [dwm] dwm and dualhead

From: Johannes Wegener <ih-mon_AT_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:51:03 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 05:37:14PM +0000, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Johannes Wegener <ih-mon_AT_gmx.de>:
> > Hi,
> > is there anybody who has experience with dwm and dualhead setups? I
> > tried to use dwm with a xrandr dualhead but it seemed quite useless becouse I
> > could just drag floating windows into the second screen. Xinerama seems
> > no more supported by xorg 7.4 and the intel driver.
> >
> > So my question are do you plan to put xrandr support into dwm? or has
> > anybody a hack/workaround for that problem?
>
> Seems that XRandR support in dwm is becoming a requirement soon, unfortunately.
>
> I wonder which X morons are to blame for dropping Xinerama completely...

I dynno why they have done that but as far as I understand it seems to
work with dwm - but I read your post that you inted to use the second
screen just for having a tiling environment on that... but I like to
have a second screen with tiling (maybe to define tags 1-4 go to screen1
and 5-9 to screen 2 or something like that)

but I think this needs a little bit of hacking the whole thing ;)

> I think the whole X.org crowd is totally misled by dodgy desktop
> environment communities...
>
> Hopefully I will find some sponsor to fund a from-scratch X server and
> X lib reimplementation which does multihead without any quirks and
> hacks like XRandR... and which provides a decent font interface to
> begin with.

a suckless X11 - that would be a dream ;)

P.S. I'm waiting eagerly for your new project which will be shown at
25c3 - looking forward to meet you there!