Re: [dwm] dwm and dualhead

From: Maarten Maathuis <madman2003_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:10:51 +0100

On 12/10/2008 06:37 PM, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Johannes Wegener<ih-mon_AT_gmx.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>> is there anybody who has experience with dwm and dualhead setups? I
>> tried to use dwm with a xrandr dualhead but it seemed quite useless becouse I
>> could just drag floating windows into the second screen. Xinerama seems
>> no more supported by xorg 7.4 and the intel driver.
>>
>> So my question are do you plan to put xrandr support into dwm? or has
>> anybody a hack/workaround for that problem?
>>

> Seems that XRandR support in dwm is becoming a requirement soon, unfortunately.
>
> I wonder which X morons are to blame for dropping Xinerama completely...
>
> I think the whole X.org crowd is totally misled by dodgy desktop
> environment communities...
>
> Hopefully I will find some sponsor to fund a from-scratch X server and
> X lib reimplementation which does multihead without any quirks and
> hacks like XRandR... and which provides a decent font interface to
> begin with.
>
> Kind regards,
> Anselm

Just for the record, xrandr emulates xinerama protocol, and should
behave pretty much the same from a window manager pov. The xinerama
screen multiplexer still exists, it's just incompatible with some
drivers. You may dislike randr's approach to dualhead, but then you
should hate xinerama as well, since that too presents a single root
window. Anyway, if you support xinerama, then the randr based drivers
shouldn't be a problem.

Maarten.