Re: [dwm] C-version of dwm status (no xsetroot needed)

From: Neale Pickett <neale_AT_woozle.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:27:16 -0700

Guillaume Quintin <coincoin169g_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> Neale Pickett, where are you in your investigations ? Could be X the
> problem ?

I stopped my investigation when Anselm accepted the xprop patch. Now
status scripts will be just another background process with an X
connection (like xterm), and there should be no need to worry about open
FDs or whatever.

Guillaume, I was under the impression that your specific problem had to
do with something in your OS's X package. I think you're going to find
the next dwm release makes the problem go away (after you convert your
status script).

> Anselm, if you don't like popen, then take Jeremy's runScript function.

This little bourne shell script may give you the behavior you desire:

    #! /bin/sh

    while true; do
        sleep 2
        xsetroot -name "$(myscript)" || exit 0