Re: [dwm] [dmenu] help me test possibly faster dmenu_path

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:36:09 +0000

Neale,

2008/12/17 Neale Pickett <neale_AT_woozle.org>:
> I theorize that find outperforms for/test. Below are two shell scripts:
> if you run the first one it will let you know the results of two runs.
> The second one is a modified dmenu_run that uses find. I'd appreciate
> it if people would run the first one and mail the results to me. I'll
> let the list know what the results are.

Similiar tests have been done a while ago, however we decided for the
shell-only version for various reasons. First of all you are referring
to GNU find as far as I can tell, however the BSD find is slightly
different (same applies to Solaris), then there was an issue with
softlink following and something else which resulted in displaying
executables which were not intended to show up, the refresh testing
and maybe another issue I don't remember right now (it's all in the
mail archive somewhere). Of course find is faster, however I don't
intend to change the shell only solution since we got cached
results...

Kind regards,
--Anselm