Re: [dwm] No Border Behaviour

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:07:19 +0100

Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> Hi,

> 2008/12/22 Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>:
>> Yesterday I updated my dwm tree to tip and noticed that the borders were
>> removed (1376). This applies only to clients in tiled layout, is there
>> a reason why this behaviour is not present in monocle?
>
> It is present in monocle as well, if there is only 1 client. This
> makes the new behavior also an indicator for the monocle layout if
> there are more clients.
>
>> If no border indicates that there's just one client in the tag it makes
>> some sense, but I rather like borderless if there's only one client
>> visible. This seems more intuitive to me, because borders indicate a
>> separation which is only necessary when there is more than one client
>> visible.
>
> Yes, that's how it is supposed to be.

I think, this doesn't make much sense. My proposed conception of
borderless clients seems more reasonable and intuitive to me. If you
take borders not as decoration (as some window manager do), but instead
as separating entities, that are used to distinguish windows, it makes
sense to omit the borders if only one particular window is visible,
because they aren't serving any purpose. In others words: borders are
superfluous in that case.

What do others think about this? Maybe I have just a different
conception of it than everyone else. If so, I'll simply implement this
for myself, otherwise I think dwm's behaviour should be altered.

> Kind regards,
> --Anselm

Regards,
Matthias-Christian