Re: [dwm] Crash-only software

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:47:43 +0000

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Brendan MacDonell
<macdonellba_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> of kill. The collection of articles seems to imply that 'crash-only'
> refers to the usage of rebootable components and frequent saving of
> persistent state to cope with errors instead of using more complex
> error recovery mechanisms. In fact, since dwm doesn't have any
> persistent state and consists of a single logical module,

I'd have thought it was the usual "issue" from the X-server/WM split:
dwm does have some slightly-complicated client state, but it's
predicated upon the X server having the appropriate clients at
appropriate pointers, keeping the geometry, etc. So there's not a huge
difference between a restart-from-crash and a
restart-with-initialisation if it can't trust the X-server to be in an
identical state.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com