Re: [dwm] OT: dwm on osx

From: Jorge Vargas <jorge.vargas_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:44:45 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Jimmy Tang <jtang_AT_tchpc.tcd.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:57:36AM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>>
>> do you run native mac os x apps with dwm or just x11 apps or both?

I guess I can say I'm doing the same thing although my
"implementation" is different and I'm cheating. I'm running vmware on
the mac, and I trimmed down the ubuntu and it's now using dwm so I
have a highly specialized development environment running on the
vmware and I use macos for everything else.

> i tend to ssh into remote hosts to do work so i often have many xterms
> open in different tags which is much easier to navigate then in native
> osx with the terminal app. i occassionally launch x11 programs such as
> inkscape, xfig, gv, xdvi.

I concur with the first, but I'm barely using any x11 app and as I
said I'm cheating.

> so in summary yes i run x11 more. i dont see how one can mix osx and x11
> apps with dwm, native osx has click to focus by default, and due to the
> lack of keys on a mac keyboard (lacking insert, delete and a few others)
> i would imagine some apps keycombos would get clobbered in unpleasant
> ways. i tried it once and it wasn't too please, i kept on getting confused
> on how to switch between apps (apple key + tab versus alt+j/k)

totally agree with this, my biggest problem is actually when I'm
running firefox in both systems and well I mess up with cmd/ctrl for
everything, specially since using control on the mac keyboard is so
painful. I'm thinking of creating (haven't had the time to do it) a
dmw config that is compatible with the way mac apps work (cmd+n = new
window, cmd+q = quit app, etc.) I just don't know enough of the mac
yet to be sure this will all be worth it.