Re: [dwm] autoconf

From: Richard Pöttler <richard.poettler_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:14:51 +0100

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:15:53AM +0100, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 06:09:33PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> > Hi,
> > * Kurt Van Dijck <kurt.van.dijck_AT_eia.be> [2009-03-19 17:53]:
> > > I'm in the process of cross-compiling dwm. I understand the idea of
> > > having a config.mk for this, but it is not the easiest.
> > > Since I had to fix some other packets too, I learned myself to setup a
> > > minimal autoconf. This allows one to do:
> > > ./configure && make && make install
> > >
> > > Since dwm is distributed as a source package and not binary, I suspect
> > > this can mean a serious improvement.
> >
> > EPIC FAIL!
> > Please read the FAQ: http://suckless.org/common/faq
> I agree as a developer. a 'config.mk' approach, I understand.
> I didn't even walk all FAQ's to get the job done :-)
>
> As a user, I'm not that convinced. ./configure is easier to explain that
> Makefile.
>
> What I learned from the automake/autoconf docs is:
> 1) autoconf allows easy test, suitable for users.
> 2) ./configure script is big :-(
> 3) automake starts the real mess, using libtool etc.
>
> I chose (for this & other projects) to stick to my own hand-crafted
> Makefiles, supported by autoconf.
> Some advantages of this approach:
> * The core Makefile(.in) is still readable as developer.
> * applying different --prefix, --host or DESTDIR gets easier.

I got to disagree here, since I made dwm port for crux. You only have to
take a short look at the slim Makefile and you got your answer:

make DESTDIR=$somedir PREFIX=/usr MANPREFIX=/usr/man install

At least this doesn't look complicated to me.

bye
richi

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/namenlos-ports.git?a=tree;f=dwm;hb=HEAD

--