Re: [dwm] Low Power Fanless Computer

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:45:40 +0200

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:23:39PM +0200, yy wrote:
> While I really like Asus products (I'm very happy with my eee), maybe
> the msi catalog is also worth a look. Both windbox and windnettop look
> like interesting fanless desktop replacements in the same line than
> the eeebox.
> If you want to have your own server the idea of accompanying one of
> these devices with plug computers and/or some cheap NAS looks funny,
> but given the current price of VPS I don't think home-servers are well
> worth any more.

I don't want the computer to be a server. It's supposed to become my main
workstation.

After my router (which has a Geode LX 800) had a 1/10 of the Whetstone score
of my laptop, I decided to buy a Intel Atom based system, because the PPW
ratio is much higher. I currently consider buying a T7-330 Atom Barebone
[1]. It's quite cheap and meets most of my requirements, although I'm not
really satisfied.

> PS[OT]: you would not get rich this way, but I would buy such a thing
> for a reasonable price: 1. find the right (cheap) plug computers to
> run plan9 cpu servers, the right nas device to run venti, and the
> right eee/wind/whichever terminal. 2. preconfigure everything and
> package it in a cute box. 3. sell it. 4. profit! 5. goto 1

You probably won't make any profit with exotic operating systems ;). Moreover,
I don't see the need for a separate file server in system with only one user.

> --
> - yiyus || JGL .

Regards,
Matthias-Christian