Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Haomin Wen <wen1987_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:08:21 +0800

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Haomin Wen <wen1987_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > For programmers, there is little difference, or at least it generally will
> > not increase SLOC.
> Yes, but at the cost of dragging in a huge chain of libraries, which
> is insanity.  Just because you can't see the complexity doesn't mean
> it's not there.
>
> > For users, they just need to set the font to something like "Sans-10" or
> > "Monosapce-10". It is much simpler than setting X fonts. Besides, fontconfig
> > is powerful. User can set spacing, priority, antialias, hinting, and a lot
> > more properties of fonts, which is necessary for certain fonts.
>
> Not only can the user set these things, the user *has to*, because
> otherwise his screen is an unreadable mess.

Most users need not set these things by themselves. Distributions and
font makers can do this work for them. Many students in my school said
that they are well pleased with the default Chinese font looking in
Ubuntu 9.04. Of course distributions and font makers could have
provide better support for X fonts, but it seems that they are losing
interests on X fonts. I prefer X fonts years ago. At that time Debian
support X fonts fairly well, but now some tools, dfontmgr for example,
are no longer supported.

Even if some people have certain special needs, dwm built with pango
will probably not be a problem for them. Anyway most people use
firefox or some other soft which also depend on fontconfig, hence they
need to tune fontconfig soon or later.