Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:49:55 -0500

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net> wrote:
>> ...that's from dwm 5.4.1, using xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of
>> DVI-1. Problem solved.
> well obviously i had something more sophisticated in mind :)
> like, horribile dictu, displaying different tags or different layouts
> on different monitors. or supporting more monitors than 2...

Okay, so I was being a bit of a smartass there :)

I really think that such cases are best left to a window manager that
tries to 'do everything' -- dwm is perfect for one (or two, in my
case) large monitor, and it handles it very well. I keep hoping to
see dwm go into a 'steady state' where the only patches are to
maintain compatibility with latest x.org, etc., but instead every time
it seems 'done' we shoot forward into crazy-ass ideas like requiring
an extra 0.5 MB of libraries for a 2k SLOC program, just so people's
firefox titles look better.

Instead of porting everything to pango, I suggest leaving it alone,
and the affected users can turn the built-in bar off and use another
status bar program.

# Kurt H Maier