Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:03:27 +0200

2009/4/27 Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>:
> At least you didn't loose your dignity, carried out your principles and
> proofed that Free Software is as powerful as an expensive proprietary software.

But it is not always possible. I can give you a (quite long) list of
software that doesn't have a free equivalent. Between other things, my
work involves a lot of mechanical testing, and even if developing your
own easy solution would be straightforward you have to use the
nonsense 1gb of ram proprietary (and usually windows) application
because it is the industry standard.
The argument about free software is a non-end disucssion. The matter
is: there are broken applications, do we want to use dwm to manage
their windows? I would prefer keeping it as suckless as possible, as
somebody else suggested. dwm makes a great job managing windows, it is
not its job to fix font handling or work around broken applications.
However, I liked the idea of a "suckless font library", but it will
have to suck a lot (i.e. include pango) to work perfectly with every
language on earth.

--
- yiyus || JGL .