Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Thomas Lavergne <thomas.lavergne_AT_reveurs.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:00:58 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:05:36PM -0400, Jeremy Jay wrote:

> Don't be a bigot, it just makes you look like a moron too. Free Software
> is about choice, forcing people to use an app just because you use it is
> pretty stupid and annoying and just gives people a negative association
> with it. Let people make their own choices. Last I checked it was very
> easy to save as .xls or .doc, and its much less hassle for those less
> tech literate.

I agree with you on almost all. You don't have to make choice for
others. But there is also the concept of mid-path, finding the solution
who hasle the less both people.
Most of the time you can easily make of doc or xls even if you have to
export to a txt or csv and do a little formatinf but this is not always
the case.

There is no reason to refuse a pdf and ask for doc, in particular in
academic world if you have mathematical contents in. I've tryed more
than one time to use the Word and OpenOffice equation editor and it take
very long time to write even a small formula, when it's almost to cost
to write it in tex and compile to pdf.
In this case it's almost impossible to convert to doc and pdf is enough
used to be an acceptable format for almost anyone.

But I've seen people refusing it in such case and ask or doc. In this
case I send a screen capture of the formula but I will never take a long
time to make a doc for such 'bigot'.

This is a special case but it's not the only one. I'm not fanboy of free
softwares, I use the best soft for my needs I can find and try to make
all I can to adapt to other people, but I think there is some limits
people have to understand and accept to also make a little effort.

--
Thomas Lavergne                    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter
                                     necessitatem." (Guillaume d'Ockham)