Re: [dwm] Problem with notify-send from acpi events

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 01:03:12 -0700

On May 3, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Preben Randhol wrote:

> I have setup my Asus Eee to run commands when I press the function
> keys
> (like power up/down etc...) In these scripts I'm running notify-send
> get a small window to give a message (like touchpad off etc...). The
> scripts are run from acpid.
>
> For some strange reason when I use dwm, the notify window doesn't show
> up. If I program dwm to run the script, I get the window. If I run the
> script manually from xterm as either user or root I get the window. If
> I start xfce4 in stead of dwm I get the window when acpid starts the
> script.

Maybe you need to launch "notification-daemon" from .xsession or make
sure you run "notify-send" as the correct user from acpid? I assume
that DBus messages are handled separately for each user...

Also, if you are only using libnotify to respond to keypresses, you
may want to check out dzen2. The code sucks somewhat (I think there's
at least one function with 1k LOC), but it doesn't suck up 3M of RAM
at all times like notification-daemon does.