Re: [dwm] [OT] frequency scaling and power consumption

From: <hessiess_AT_hessiess.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 16:23:52 +0100 (BST)

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM, bill lam <cbill.lam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> BIOS support choosing a smaller multipliers to reduce cpu frequency.
>> linux also supports frequency scaling such powernowd. Some google
>> page said cpu throttling can not reduce power consumption. My
>> experience is that it seems to lower temperature. If it can also
>> reduce power consumption, I'm willing to save money by running cpu at
>> half of its current frequency. Any idea.
>
> My understanding is that power usage scales nonlinearly with CPU
> frequency, and in particular having twice the frequency doesn't
> require quite as much as double the power. So IF your OS can put your
> PC into proper "sleep" states whent here's nothing to do (and that's
> the big IF), the PC will use less energy in total by running at full
> speed when you have work to do and then going into a sleep state
> rather than taking twice as long to do the work at half the frequency.
> So I'd expect you'd probably get more "energy usage reduction" from
> getting rid of any services/device drivers/etc that stop the PC going
> to sleep than from manually reducing the frequency. (If you're using
> Linux, PowerTOP (
>
> www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/
>
> ) is an attempt to provide a way to at least see what's causing
> wake-ups, even if it doesn't necessarily show how to solve them.)
>> --

Personally I have noticed that locking my laptops scaling CPU to the
lowest frequency does give quite a noticeable improvement to the battery
life, around an extra hour on top of the usual 4~ hours and reduces the
temperature enough to make the fan shut off . Just enabling on-demand
scaling didn't help much as it would scale up to full frequency far to
often. Even with the CPU locked in lo frequency mode it almost never lags.